Granny Smith apples are everywhere…so why not take advantage and make one of my favorite desserts like I did…a delicious Fall apple strudel! Flaky, cinnamon-y, warm, and hits the spot!
I’ve been getting lots of requests for this one since I posted on my social media the other day! Let’s just say I’m a little obsessed with puff pastry and how forgiving and easy it is to do a quick dessert with! Just like my previous post on homemade donuts using puff pastry–you will fall in love with this recipe!
I hear you and here you go—and you’re welcome! Don’t come crying to me when your skinny jeans no longer go past your knees!
It will be best if you make it to gift and you can save a small bite for yourself. Cause otherwise you will literally want to have the whole thing yourself. truth!
What’s wonderful about puff pastry is you can just fill it with whatever you have.
artichokes, spinach, asparagus, on a cheesy layer.
berries, fruits, nuts, on a cream cheesy layer.
And it will all be delicious!
Hardest part is waiting for pastry sheet to thaw!
Here’s my easy and no nonsense way to make your own delicious apple strudel.
Delicious Fall Apple Strudel
- 1 puff pastry thawed
- 1 cup diced apples Granny Smith
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cook apples by adding apples, butter, spices, sugar, and lemon juice into a small saucepan.
- On medium high heat, stir until sugar has dissolved and apples are soft and translucent. It will take about 5-7 minutes.
- Once the apples are done, remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small dish, whisk your egg to use later. Set aside.
- Place your thawed pastry sheet on a rolling mat or piece of wax paper and roll out just a few times.
- Not too much and not too flattened!
- Once you have a large rectangle, move it to a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Now cut 1" strips on each side but leaving center are all in one piece.
- Scoop your apples and place on center section of pastry.
- Now grab your egg and using a pastry brush, lightly add egg to each side of sliced pastry.
- Start pulling in each side to the center until you have formed a "braided like" center. Use more egg wash to brush all over pastry.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes or until puffy and golden.
- Remove to cooling rack and while warm, add icing.
- For Icing: blend powdered sugar, cream, and cinnamon until easy to pour on.
A Delicious Fall Apple Strudel
All kidding aside and in all seriousness—-these are addictive! But super easy and fun to make.
You can even play around and make small tarts, danishes, and more.
For a danish I combine softened cream cheese with powdered sugar and either vanilla or almond extract. Cream together and spoon on then top with fruits or berries (as mentioned above), then baked. For a savory I combine softened cream cheese or ricotta and blend with chives, salt and pepper or any of your favorite spices. All topped with your veggie and baked. Yummy goodness❣️
My next post is on a cute DIY I made for our bathroom!
From one good witch to another—–stay tuned and Happy Halloween!