Here’s the deal… we live in a small community that has Amish. The Amish sell lots of things as well as beautiful baskets. This DIY post is about Amish baskets turned farmhouse shabby.
And it’s a fun DIY.
When someone was selling a trio set, of “brownie pan size” baskets for $25, I couldn’t resist. They’re unique and very handy for many uses. They come in all sizes and shapes. My favorites are the ones I can use in the kitchen for serving! Especially for carrying hot casseroles or baked goods to and fro.
Even though I have plenty of them, I immediately thought of a way to transform these just a little.
Here’s some clues… I love baskets, I like shabby, and I LOVE bun feet!
Along with painting them (didn’t need hunter green anything), I started searching online for mini bun feet. There really aren’t mini bun feet but I found some wooden drawer knobs that would definitely look like mini bun feet.
Then I created some cute vinyl images that I’ve includes should you want to do the same, just click for PDF. They read: “Eat” “Love” & “Pray” . They worked great for each of these baskets (since I had 3 of them).
This was a super easy DIY and I love how they turned out! They’ll look great to fill with special treats to leave for our B&B guests as well!
DIY steps and what you’ll need
- wood drawer knobs
- Spray chalk paint
- vinyl image
- screwdriver (with 5/32″ drill bit)
- sand paper or sanding block
- clear sealant
- painters blue tape & newspaper (to cover bottom portion)
- Wipe baskets clean.
- Paint the drawer knobs white & set aside.
- Paint the inside bottom of the basket or leave as stained if you want to apply a vinyl image.
- Cover the bottom section (using painters tape and paper) to leave names & dates “as is”. Spray paint the entire basket.
- Remove the covered bottom, so you can mark and drill holes on each 4 corners of basket. Screw in the knobs.
- Remove the vinyl image and lettering to reveal your custom design.
- Sand image area lightly and spray with clear sealant.
The most important part was that I wanted to make sure and preserve the names of the families that put these baskets together (nostalgia ya know).
And how about those cute little feet?
Amish baskets turned farmhouse shabby~
One of our local merchant carries “a bunch” of Amish baskets– Amish Country Store & Welcome Center, right here in town should you feel the need to stock up or transform your own basket into a shabby chic carrier! Otherwise, you can just use any old basket you have lying around~
Happy weekend! Stay safe and healthy and I will be enjoying some time with my fam?
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.