What a quick November we’re having. After decorating with lots of pumpkins and carving our Halloween pumpkins we set some aside for our annual “puree making” day! Along with cooking, freezing and taste testing, we always make time for a batch of delicious fresh pumpkin empanadas! Simply a must.
Grab some cooking pumpkins for your decorating but be sure to save them for roasting and other delicious foods that you can create with them.
Shop for firm bright orange pumpkins that will cook up nicely and you will have a freezer full of pumpkin for breads, muffins and these wonderful empanadas!
Enough about the pumpkins. Let’s start with roasting and cooking your pumpkins!
Clean out your pumpkin and slice into big chunks.
Lay skin side up on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Roast for about 45-1 hour in a 375 degree oven. Once done, the skin will fall off and you will be left with tender, perfectly cooked pumpkin. I allow to cool and then run it for a bit in my food processor. I bag it in 2c bags, label and freeze. That’s it!
Delicious Fresh Pumpkin Empanadas
Now for the best part! Most bread and muffin recipes call for 15 ounces or 2 cups of fresh pumpkin. Just thaw out a bag of your pumpkin puree and you’re ready for delicious, homemade goodies. For the empanadas, you will heat up the pumpkin with the sugar and spice mixture before filling. Super simple!
Some of the ingredients that make these to die for… anise & brown sugar. Along with a combination of other spices!
Fresh Pumpkin Empanadas (de Calabasa)
Empanada Dough Ingredients
- * 3/4 cup shortening
- * 1/4 cup sugar
- * 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- * 1/8 tsp baking powder
- * 1 t anise powder
- * 1 pinch salt
- * 4 ounces warm water
Empanada Pumpkin Filling Ingredients
- * 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree
- * 1/2 cup brown sugar
- * 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- * 1/2 t ground anise
- * 1/2 t ginger
Empanada Dough Recipe
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and anise and set aside.
- In a food processor, blend the sugar and shortening until well blended.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture, alternating with warm water.
- Continue mixing to make a soft dough ball.
- Wrap dough in plastic until ready to use.
Pumpkin Empanada Filling Recipe
- Add pumpkin and spices into a large pan on medium heat. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Making the empanadas
- Divide dough into small balls, then roll out the dough into 5-inch circles. Fill and seal.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Five to ten minutes before pulling from oven, brush some egg whites on each for a pretty golden glaze!
- Cool on bake rack or eat warm.
Empanadas are the just the bomb! Cause you can make sweet or savory ones. I had some fresh peach filling on hand and ended up making 4 of those. So delicious! But if you skip the sugar and anise in these you can make some meat filled ones. YUM! 😋
With Thanksgiving around the corner—some delicious pumpkin pie will taste even better with some fresh made pumpkin puree! Give it a try & HAPPY THANKSGIVING 🖤
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.