You say you’re too busy this time of year to bake or make any homemade yum?! Well, I want to share this amazing Fresh cranberry orange scones recipe that I experimented with the other morning. You’ll be amazed at how easy and delicious they are.
So perfect for Christmas time and for gift giving. I mean… who doesn’t like homemade deliciousness such as fresh scones?
I love making scones for breakfast cause I’m not your traditional breakfast kinda gal. Actually, for most of my life I have not been a breakfast person. It wasn’t until my bff’s and I started going away for weekends at B&B’s and most B&B owners had “to-die-for” breakfasts. Then my girlfriends either really liked the breakfasts or were trying to entice me so I wouldn’t miss out.
Then there’s the fact that I always feel like Thanksgiving and Christmas would never be the same if I didn’t have a bag of fresh cranberries to make something divine. I know that cranberries and orange goes well together and so…
I diced some up and soaked them in boiling water to soften them a bit before adding them to my basic sconces recipe.
Fresh cranberry orange scones
Fresh Cranberry Orange Scones
- 2½ c all-purpose flour
- 2 T sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- ¼ t salt
- 2 T orange zest
- 1 stick butter, cold & cut into chunks
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- ½ c heavy whipping cream + 1 T to brush the top
- 1/2 c chopped fresh cranberries
- 1 T coarse sugar to sprinkle the top optional
- 3/4 c powdered sugar
- 1 T freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a glass measuring cup (microwave proof) boil 1 cup water and add the chopped cranberries and allow to soak until needed.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and grated orange zest.
- Pour this mixture into your food processor & add butter. Pulse until you have coarse pea-sized crumbs.
- Return to a large bowl.
- Drain the cranberries completely and pat dry with paper towel.
- Stir cranberries into flour mixture and gently combine.
- Make a well in the center and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and ½ cup heavy cream.
- Pour egg mixture into the flour mixture and use a spatula to stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a generously floured surface and pull it together into a round disk, about ¾" thick.
- Cut disk into 12 equal wedges and pull apart slightly.
- Brush tops of scones with 1 Tbsp heavy cream and sprinkle with raw sugar if desired.
- Bake 15-17 min until golden (mine took 16 min).
- Remove scones from the hot baking sheet and let cool 15 minutes while you whisk together the powdered sugar and 1 T. freshly squeezed orange juice, adding more or less to desired thickness. Drizzle over scones.
The final outcome… super flaky, buttery, a touch of tart from the cranberries but balanced out by the yummy delicious glaze. So good!!! Perfect with a cup of hot tea.
*For a gluten free version which are just as fantastic, substitute the all purpose flour with the same amount of gluten free all purpose. I had the hubs hustle some over to my daughter at her school for a mid morning snack.
These will be perfect to wrap up in cellophane bags, tied with my adorable free printable gift tag, and gift away!