HELLO dear friends! Around here, we’re getting a glimpse into Fall. I step out on our back porch and see the many trees lining our driveway that are starting to lose their leaves and I love to watch as the wind swirls and carries those leaves gently to the ground. A gentle reminder of what’s to come and I get giddy. Certainly gets me in the mood for Fall baking and the smells that come from those wonderful dishes and pans that come out of the oven. Mmm. Ginger and spice and everything nice!
Isn’t ginger like one of your favorites? It is mine. Combine cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg–oh man, you have a serious addiction and sense overload in a very good way!
Quietly shopping in Hobby Lobby the other day, I came across the cutest silicone muffin baking form in the shape of squirrels and acorns. I thought it would be perfect for the little Roos (my grandsons), who think stinkin’ squirrels are the funniest creatures!
Plus, who wouldn’t want to eat a Fall muffin or cornbread in the form of a squirrel or acorn right?
What does ginger have to do with anything? Well, it speaks Fall to me.
Ginger is slightly underrated, and I have a great recipe to share, that uses 2 varieties of ginger. I think you’ll love it! Crystalized ginger & ground ginger. Bam! Kids are gonna love ’em too!
I’ve been online searching for spice distributors that sell fresh spices because I use THEM. A. LOT!!! Penzey’s has been my go to for many years until recently when they decided to start getting political and using their company as a political platform. Something I don’t care for in any business.
In my search, I found Milk Street spices and I decided to order some to test out.
Ginger and spice and everything nice…
Out of the oven came a small batch of ginger muffins for the boys using the ground ginger combined with some crystallized ginger. With added fresh grated sweet potato! What we got were these moist & very gingery delicious muffins that even the littles couldn’t keep their little paws off of. I’ll certainly be serving these up for our guests at the B&B!
(adapted from Hostess @ Heart)
Ginger Sweet Potato Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 cup butter unsalted melted
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 cup pecans chopped optional
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 c. finely shredded sweet potato raw
- 2 T crystallized ginger
- * powdered sugar optional for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease or line mini muffin cups with liner papers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cloves, and nutmeg.
- In a separate large bowl add melted butter, vegetable oil, sugar, brown sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla. Blend well.
- Add egg and blend until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Mix until just combined.
- Add crystallized ginger, sweet potato and pecans.
- Blend until combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, turning pans halfway through baking.
- Remove muffins from pans and dust with powdered sugar.
- Store muffins in an air-tight container once they've cooled completely.
- Can be frozen.
These are seriously tasty and perfect for Fall, for breakfast or an afternoon snack!
And if you’ve read this to this point, I am also giving away a “free” ground ginger from Milk Street to those of you that comment on this post! That’s right, you will be entered in the giveaway. Here are the deets.
- Comment on this post – it can be anything related to ginger, recipes that you’ve tried here at GCC, or something inspiring you’ve learned
- You will be automatically entered for commenting
- Drawing closes on September 24th. In time for you to start your own Fall baking!
- No limit on entries/comments
Get in on this giveaway…get ready to share some love, get some baking done and enjoy this Fall!❤︎