Are you a sausage biscuit kinda person? My husband is and he has been spending too much $ on crappy breakfasts on-the-go yo’s! So I decided to curb that little extravagance plus provide him with a healthier version. Here are the steps to make your own homemade sausage biscuits that are better than McDonalds or the frozen ones sold at the grocer.
Follow the egg preparation steps along with the recipe for buttermilk biscuits below! These are less than $1 buck each guys! Harder to believe, but out of 1 egg you get enough for 9 servings! Pretty sweet huh? Especially if you have lots of mouths to feed or you’re on a tight budget.
Before we begin…don’t you just ♥ when there’s a creative use for something that has an entirely different purpose? A few tips:
- You know those metal, mason canning jar lid rings? Use ’em for the egg cooking step, for perfect sized eggs!
- Use a small measuring cup with a spout (for easy pouring). (See picture below.) I used my metal measuring cup.
- Cook the sausage ahead of time and set aside. (I used one roll of turkey sausage and sliced it into 1/4″ thick slices, cooked and drained on paper towels.)
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- dash salt
- 1T sugar
- 1/2 c butter (cold)
- 2/3 c buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pour in the buttermilk until you are able to roll the dough into a ball. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 2 minutes. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet, roll into a 6×6 inch square, and cut into 12 even sections. (I used a pizza cutter for even cuts.) Do not separate.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Separate and serve hot or slice and cool for sausage biscuits.
Makes 12 biscuits
Dilly Scrambled Eggs
- 1 large farm egg
- 1 T. cream
- dash of white or black pepper
*(I omitted salt due to salt in sausage)Mix eggs with cream and pepper and blend well. Pour into a spouted cup (for pouring). Spray a medium pan with Pam and heat on medium. Spray the inside of the (3) jar lids and place in pan. Gently pour egg mixture halfway in each jar lid, sprinkle a bit of dill and cook for a few minutes until you see eggs firming up. *You will get a little bit of spillage but that’s okay. Using the tines on a fork, gently shake and lift lids off. Flip the egg and continue to cook completely. Remove and set aside until ready to use.
Makes 9 egg cups
Now that everything is prepared, layer the egg and sausage in the biscuit. *Optional (you may add cheese at this point if you’d like). Individually wrap and freeze! To eat: thaw for a few minutes and then heat in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Now you have individually wrapped breakfast biscuits to grab ‘ n go each morning and I really need to clean my kitchen! Isn’t that just the worse part of cooking? Whew!!!
Let me know how you enjoy these, I would really appreciate your comments~
Tags: breakfast to go, buttermilk biscuits, sausage biscuits