Hi my peeps and here’s hoping you had a wonderful Easter holiday. It’s been awhile but I’ve been excited to share with you how to make healthy homemade granola in this first recipe, (I have another recipe for granola I plan to share next week).
Since I’ve shared before that I’m not typically a breakfast person and really just do so now, off and on; granola is one of my favorite breakfast go-to’s. This one is my delicious NUTTY CHAI GRANOLA! It’s my #1 favorite granola combination.
What’s not to LOVE about this granola? It’s chock-full of walnut, coconut & oats. But the chai mix is what makes this granola. If you’ve never mixed up a batch of chai seasoning for coffee’s and teas…well, let me just say that you’re in for a treat! Chai Mix when baking especially, makes your whole house smell terrific. Spicy! Cardamommy & cinnamony!!! (made those up)
Fabulous combination. A BIG batch of chai mix can always be found in my spice cabinet for those days I just want a chai hug or just want to indulge in cardamom.
I remember one time in the 90’s when my husband and I were on vacation. The hotel we were staying in had the sweetest owners were from India. We quickly became friends. Each night they would invite us to come visit with them. Sinai, the wife made this delicious avocado drink (neer mor) and was anxious to share it. Hers had chai in it and it was just amazingly fragrant and potent and beautiful. Every time I have chai since, it always reminds me of that beautiful couple and their willingness to be so friendly and hospitable.
How To Make Healthy Homemade Granola
When you pull this sheet full of deliciously browned, crunchy & aromatic granola out of your oven, you’ll be downing handfuls. You’ll also be wondering why you’ve never made your own batch of homemade granola given that it’s so easy.
In the future you will happily open your pantry to jars of the homemade stuff. Ready to help start your day off. If you’re like me, you will make sure to have two or more varieties. You can serve it on yogurt, on your salads, as a snack, etc.
Nutty Chai Granola
- 1/2 c honey warm (can use agave)
- 2 T coconut oil melted and hot
- 1/2 t vanilla & almond extract
- 4 c old-fashioned oats
- 2 c nuts I used walnuts but you can use almonds or pecans or a combination
- 1 c shredded coconut
- chai spice mix see below
- CHAI SPICE MIX INGREDIENTS:
- 2 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1/4 t ground cloves
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 t ground cardamom
- 1 t ground ginger
- 1/4 t allspice
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. (Use two sheets if it looks too crowded on one.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, coconut oil, vanilla and almond extracts until combined.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together oats, nuts, coconut and chai spice mix until combined.
- Add in the honey mixture, and toss until all the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture out on the prepared baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then stir.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until the nuts are toasted.
- Watch closely so as not to overcook, over-brown, or burn it.
- It should have a nice golden color to it.
- Remove sheet from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Store in a sealed container and keep for up to 3 weeks.
Protein packed and naturally sweetened with the honey, this granola is super addictive.
This granola sounds so good! I will have to try it. It’s been forever since the last time I made homemade granola. Thanks for sharing!
Hi Jennifer! If I’m gonna crave any granola, this is my go to! I love the combination of flavors and perfect crunch. Hope you do try it and please let me know how you like it! Thank you for stopping by and for your comment! ?