Hola peeps! Did you survive Thanksgiving? We had a wonderful time with our little family and have the spent the last 2 days putting away Fall decor. I’m totally in “Christmas” mode. Even my tastebuds are ready for the holiday. Kinda steering towards the topic here…the perfect Orange Cranberry Muffins!
I mean who doesn’t love muffins? These orange and cranberry muffins, are nothing short of amazing. They are robust, tangy, sweet, and moist! In other words, everything wonderful!!!
I love the combination of these two ingredients. I use ’em both in scones and a bread pudding for our guests at our B&B. You up the game on these when you add almond extract to them versus vanilla. O.M.Geepers!
Don’t take it from me. You can make your own batch, freeze some, and have them ready for your holiday guests. They freeze so well (if you have any left to freeze)! Each batch makes about 18 full size muffins, I recommend doubling if you plan to have leftovers for others. Just sayin’!
*Note: I also like to stock up on fresh oranges before the winter or when they’re unavailable. I found that since moving to the Midwest from Texas, that you can’t always find what I took for granted back home. (Citrus for example!). Zest your oranges and keep in a sealed container. I cut my oranges into slices or juice them and freeze!
They even have a sprinkling of orange zest sugar on top. How perfect is that?
Head to the grocery store and pile up on some fresh cranberries while they’re available. They freeze fabulously. I usually stock up this time of year as I use them for different recipes throughout the year. But besides that, you’ll be wanting to make these often.
the perfect orange cranberry muffins
Orange Cranberry Muffins
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/8 c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 Tbl. unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- grated zest of 1/2 an orange
- 3/4 c. fresh cranberries cut in half
- 1/4 c. sugar
- grated zest of 1/2 an orange
For the Topping:
- Stir the sugar and orange zest together in a small bowl until combined and fragrant; set aside.
For the Muffins:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and spray with cooking spray.
- Cut the cranberries into halves and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl whisk together the sugar and eggs until thick.
- Whisk in the butter and oil slowly until combined.
- Whisk in the buttermilk, almond extract and orange zest.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry along with 1 1/4 cups of the cranberries.
- Fold together until just combined; do not over mix.
- Fill muffins cups full with batter, mounding slightly.
- Sprinkle with orange sugar topping.
- Bake for 16-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Makes 18 muffins.
*adapted from Americas Test Kitchen
Good thing that my hubby took some to friends otherwise I’d be rolling into bed tonight!
Try em and leave me a comment letting me know what you think – I would appreciate the feedback!
Absolutely awesome. I did not add the sugar to the top but simply added almond slivers.
Delicious recipe! The almond oil/extract really makes a yummy flavour!